RTDNA has presented the 2014 National Edward R. Murrow Awards, which recognize work of the highest quality produced by radio, television and online news organizations around the world, at its annual Awards Dinner and Show in New York City.
This year, RTDNA awarded 98 national Edward R. Murrow Awards in 13 categories including Overall Excellence, Breaking News, Investigative Reporting and more. RTDNA received more than 4,000 entries during the 2014 awards season, surpassing 2013 by more than 500 entries and setting an all-time record for entries in what proved to be one of the most competitive Edward R. Murrow Awards seasons in RTDNA history.
Among the winners, ABC News brought home the the Overall Excellence award in both radio and television for the first time in more than twenty years. The network won a total five awards. CBS won five in television and three in radio, and NBC won two awards in television. National Public Radio took home a trio of awards for website, series and investigative reporting, and ESPN won three in radio and television. Univision won for best network television website.
For the second year in a row, the Washington Post won the Overall Excellence Award for large online news organizations, as well as an award for feature reporting. The Boston Globe won awards in three online categories.
Of particular note this year in the Small Market Radio division was KNAU - Arizona Public Radio, which pulled off a rare double win in News Series and Writing for its entry Building Hope In Haiti: Flagstaff Responds To Humanitarian Crisis.
To receive an Overall Excellence award, a news organization must exemplify the highest standards in serving its audience through quality electronic or digital journalism.
Overall Excellence award winners in 2014 are:
- ABC News (network television)
- ABC News Radio (network radio)
- The Washington Post (large online news)
- The Texas Tribune (small online news)
- WCVB-TV, Boston (television, large market)
- WBIR-TV, Knoxville, Tenn. (television, small market)
- WBEZ, Chicago (radio, large market)
- WDEL, Wilmington, Del. (radio, small market)
A complete list of winners with links to the winning entries for the 2014 National Edward R. Murrow Awards can be found on our national awards page.
Also presented at the ceremony were the winners of the 2014 RTDNA/UNITY Awards, which honor outstanding achievement in the coverage of diversity.
This years winners include:
- Alabama Public Radio: Remembering 1963
- WKAR-TV/Michigan State University: U.S. v. Narciso, Perez & Press
- Comcast Local Media Development: His Dream, Our Stories
- KUOW Public Radio: Black in Seattle
- KABC-TV: Witness: The Legacy of Heart Mountain
- PRI's The World: Global Nation: Stories of a Changing America
- ESPN Films: Venus Vs.
The Gannett Foundation's Al Neuharth Award for Investigative Journalism was presented to CBS News/60 Minutes, for its investigative report entitled Lethal Medicine. The piece also won a national Edward R. Murrow Award from RTDNA this year for investigative reporting.